Thermos Flask Lunch
1 - 2 servings
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup Basmati rice
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup fresh Zucchini and/or Yellow Squash, (can add small amounts of asparagus or carrots)
- 1 teaspoon Ghee or Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 2 pinches Salt
Rinse the lentils and rice and put in water and bring to a boil. Briefly, about 20 seconds, saute the spices in ghee or olive oil. Add the chopped vegetables and saute for 1 minute. Add the vegetables and spices to the lentils and rice and simmer for 5 minutes. While still boiling, pour the mixture into a one-quart thermos. Close the thermos quickly and leave closed for about four hours.
- You may need to experiment with cooking times depending on your thermo's ability to retain heat.
- Heavier vegetables like carrots and beets need one to two more minutes of cooking with the rice and beans.
- You may substitute yellow mung dahl for red lentils.
- Do not overheat ghee when frying spices; it should not be smoking hot; begin with whole spices and fry only to light brown or seeds start to pop; then add ground spices for a few seconds only.
Eat and Enjoy!
To make an appointment with New Leaf Ayurveda, schedule a Private Cooking Class or to take advantage of the Private Chef Services, please contact us at 1-916-514-0072 or email@example.com.