Spiced Sweet Potatoes
as a side dish
- 3 Sweet Potatoes (yams are fine)
- 2 T olive oil or ghee
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 Tablespoon powdered coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 handfuls of coconut- organic dried or frozen and unsweetened
- Garnish with juice from 1/2 lemon and 1 handful chopped cilantro
- To add interest, use 2 handfuls raisins and almonds, and/or cinnamon and fresh ginger in winter or for Kaphas.
Heat oil; roast seeds. When lightly browning, add powdered spices, stir and add peeled sweet potatoes. Mix well, cook on medium heat in wide saute pan and cover. Add small amounts of water to allow continued medium heat cooking without burning. Let potatoes brown a little, stir, brown again. Add salt, turn to low-medium and cook until tender. Add coconut, mix well, and add cilantro and lemon. Turn off and let sit for 3-5 min. Serve and enjoy!
To make an appointment with New Leaf Ayurveda, schedule a Private Cooking Class or to take advantage of the Private Chef Services, please contact us at 1-916-514-0072 or firstname.lastname@example.org.